TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Rebuilt parts: Why do they suck and what can we do about it?
People Seeking Info

Subject Rebuilt parts: Why do they suck and what can we do about it?

Posted by BlackholeZ on December 02, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  This message has been viewed 469 times.

Message My alternator died last night on the way home from class and today I get to swap in a spare in the rain. An alternator's not the worst thing to do on out cars, but it's not enjoyable. I'm just glad that I've fixed all my power steering leaks so at least it'll be clean. I'm still not thrilled about putting a used alternator back on which could very well die the following week. We all know to avoid going down to O'Reilly to get a rebuilt alternator because the're full of crap parts, but as new parts become NLA what options do we have?

One option is improved aftermarket parts. Nobody (well mostly nobody) buys stock shocks anymore because there are better and cheaper options out there. Similarly, smaller and more powerful alternators are available, but you have to wade through the crap to find the good ones. If anyone has feedback on a good alternator I'd love to hear.

The other option is repairing. Sometimes parts can be found to repair the issue to just as good as new or better than. I know driveshafts are good example. Finding a good rebuild shop often you can get back a driveshaft/axle that's better than new.However I doubt I'll be able to find a new diode set for my alternator.

So anyway, let's discuss our old cars, and how we're going to keep them running. If there's one thing we have here, it's the collective knowledge to solve just about any problem with all the Engineers, EEs and Machinists active on TT.Net.

-Dan
VTC Solenoid Caps and install instructions.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" - ChristopherTheOne
" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.